This guide outlines the processes and best practices for taking ‘Certiport Exams from Home’ with your Instructor/Teacher, who will be in contact with a Prodigy Learning representative to proctor a Certiport exam session
You do not need to install any software on your computer.
- Laptop or Desktop with Windows 10 or Mac OSX Mojave 10.14, High Sierra 10.13, or Sierra 10.12
- Chromebooks: we recommend having the most current OS
- Tablets and/or Smartphones cannot be used to take these exams
- Keyboard and mouse
- Recommended minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800
- The preferred internet browser is Chrome. Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari are also acceptable
- A bandwidth download speed of at least 5Mbps*
*Important: Before using ‘Certiport Exams from Home’, we strongly encourage all users to test their bandwidth to verify it is adequate and ensure the session will not be interrupted. A reputable third-party site you may use is www.speedtest.net. Ensure other members of your household are offline during the bandwidth test and during your actual exam session to ensure you have the best connection available.
Best practices to perform before your exam
Please review these instructions in advance of your scheduled exam time (ideally the day before). If you have any questions about this guide, please contact your Instructor/Teacher.
- Review the Tutorial of the exam you signed up for prior to your appointment.
- You will need your Certiport login/username and password. Please have this information ready before your scheduled exam time.
- If you have not registered yet, see https://prodigylearning.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360005189538
- If you have lost your username or password click here.
- Ensure exam security by adhering to the following:
- If possible, find a space to take your exam without distractions or other people.
- No mobile or other computing devices are allowed.
- No recording devices are allowed (this includes paper, pens, pencils, cameras, etc.).
- Close all open browsers and applications prior to the exam.
- Have other household members refrain from using the internet during your exam session.
Important: Accessing anything other than the exam during testing will invalidate your exam and you will be removed from the session. These actions will result in a failed exam and suspension of your Certiport account.
Your instructor/teacher is in contact with the ‘Certiport Exams from Home’ Proctors to arrange your exam session. This session will have been booked in advance and you must attend on time - should you be more than 5 minutes late you may be unable to sit your exam.
- If you have not received your unique link for the scheduled exam session, please contact your instructor/teacher/proctor.
- When you click this link, you will be presented with the desktop of a virtual computer which you will take your exam on.
- This machine is monitored remotely by your ‘Certiport Exams from Home’ Proctor.
The keyboard and mouse are shared between yourself and the Proctor therefore the proctor can take over your machine should there be the need to. There is also a Notepad window open. If you do not have any other way to contact your Proctor, you can use this to communicate with the Proctor should you have any questions. Please note do not enter any personal information into the Notepad window.
Launching an Exam
- To begin, login to the Compass program with your Certiport username and password and then click on the "Launch an Exam" button
- Unless you have been instructed to enter Exam Group details and/or have an Exam Voucher, click "Next". If you are not sure, check this with your Exam Administrator. If you do have an Exam Group ID and/or Voucher, toggle the selector to "Yes" and then then the details. For example, if you have a Voucher, toggle the selector to "Yes" and then enter the Voucher in the "Enter a voucher number" field:
- On the "Select Exam" screen, use the Search function to refine your options. For example, if you want to take a Word exam, type "word" into the "Find an Exam:" field then click on the blue link to select it:
- Read and accept the Non-Disclosure and EULA Agreement, then click "Next".
- When you get to the Proctor screen, please wait for the Proctor to enter credentials to unlock your Exam. The Proctor will temporarily take over the keyboard and mouse to sign in. The controls will then return to you at which point you will review the exam tutorial and then begin your exam.
- When your exam is complete, you will see your score report. Be patient while your results are calculated and uploaded (a blank screen may appear for several seconds). Do not press any buttons or perform any actions while waiting for your score to upload. Although you will see your score almost immediately, you will not be able to print it from within the virtual session. You can obtain a copy from your online transcript on www.certiport.com
- Do not save files to the VM desktop except those needed for the exam
- Close the Compass software and close your browser window to complete your session.
YOU CANNOT change the exam screen size. The exam screen will stay the same size no matter what resolution your monitor is set to or your browser window size. The minimum resolution needed for the exams is 1280 x 800. This is to accommodate all screen sizes. Candidates must have their browser full screen to avoid having the exam screen cut off during the exam. Below is an example of the screen size and if the exam area is too small, check your Display Settings and consider adjusting any applicable Scaling settings as appropriate:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I have not received my session hyperlink by the time my session has begun?
A: Your Instructor/Teacher will be sending out the links prior to the exam session. If you have not received it, please contact your Instructor/Teacher immediately
Q: How do I communicate with the Proctor during exam launch?
A: The virtual session is a Windows 10 desktop and the application Notepad will be open on the desktop. Use the blank Notepad instance to communicate back and forth with the Proctor.
Q: I've accidentally closed the web browser during my exam - what should I do?
A: Simply click on the same link sent to you by your Instructor/Teacher ASAP to re-join the exam session. Your exam timer will not stop during this time.
Q: What if I have not received my Score Report at the end of my exam?
A: Inform your Instructor/Teacher/Proctor immediately! You may need to resume your Exam and submit it again.
Q: How can I view/print my certificate after I have finished my exam?
A: Certificates are all digitally fulfilled to the Test Candidate's Account, generally within 24 hours of achieving a pass. Once it is on the Account you can download it or print it by following the steps at https://prodigylearning.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360005190098.
Q: Why do I see a message saying that my Office Software does not match my exam selection?
A: A feature was added to Compass on Sept 17, 2020, to detect the Office software that is locally installed and verify that it aligns with the exam you selected. Ensure you select the exact same exam that your Exam Administrator signed you up to take.
Q: Why can't I select Office 2016?
A: If you are presented with a "Microsoft Exam Version" screen and cannot continue after selecting "Office 2016" preference (you cannot click "Next" button is not available):
Navigate back to the “Select Exam” page, select the 2019 equivalent and then, when prompted to select a version of Office, pick “Office 2016”. For example, you want to take “Excel Expert 2016” – Select Excel Expert 2019 Exam and then choose “Office 2016”:On the Proctor screen, double check that you have the correct exam title shown and then launch the exam as normal.